The University of Pittsburgh Department of Athletics, a member of the nationally renowned Atlantic Coast Conference, is seeking a dynamic leader for the position of Head Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Coach. Located in the heart of the City of Pittsburgh – a thriving urban setting with 2.4 million residents within the surrounding metropolis – Pitt competes in the nationally renowned Atlantic Coast Conference and is seeking to add to the conference’s rich history of championship caliber men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs. The institutional commitment to the swimming and diving programs as well as the expanded investment in the program’s success present a unique opportunity for qualified candidates. In addition to being newly appointed members of the ACC, the swimming and diving programs compete in the recently renovated Trees Pool, which is currently undergoing some exciting renovations that include a new state-of-the-art video scoreboard, new men’s and women’s locker rooms and a new shared team meeting room and student-athlete lounge. The swimming and diving programs are home to some of Pitt’s finest student-athletes, having been recognized as top departmental performers in team GPA on several occasions. The University and the Athletic Department are committed to the type of program enhancements that will allow them to achieve success in a conference already defined by its championship culture.
The Athletic Department’s Search Committee seeks a Head Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving coach with integrity, vision, and a commitment to the comprehensive development and success of the program and its individual student-athletes. A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years’ coaching experience (preferably at the NCAA Division l or comparable level) are required. In addition, the candidate should present the following qualifications:
· Demonstrated ability to produce and lead highly successful, championship level men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams;
· Demonstrated commitment to the welfare, personal development and academic success of student-athletes;
· Demonstrated commitment to and compliance with the principles and bylaws of the NCAA, as well as a demonstrated record of ethical decision making and sound-level judgment within a fast-paced and competitive environment;
· Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a qualified staff of coaches;
The duties and responsibilities of the Head Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving coach are to develop and manage all facets of organizing and leading competitive Division I men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs, to include (but not limited to):
· Recruitment and retention of student-athletes;
· Providing leadership and instruction on the personal and athletic development of student-athletes;
· Individual and team preparation, including organization of practices and competitions;
· Submitting annual budget requests and planning, monitoring and administering the program’s budget and resources;
· Supervising a full complement of assistant and volunteer coaching staff members;
· Developing a competitive conference and non-conference schedule;
· Assisting with alumni/community relations and development opportunities, as needed;
· In conjunction with the Performance Team, overseeing and monitoring in and out of season conditioning and training programs for peak performance and safety considerations;
· Monitoring and documenting efforts to maintain control of program and ensure compliance with all pertinent NCAA, ACC and Institutional policies and procedures.
· Overseeing and coordinating team travel arrangements;
· In conjunction with Academic Support Services for Student-Athletes, ensuring that student-athletes have access to the resources and time considerations to ensure academic success and graduation.
This is a full-time, twelve month position. Anticipated start date is April 15, 2016. All applicants are required to apply through the University’s Human Resources Website, www.pittsource.com.