MISSION & CORE VALUES:
In support of the educational mission of Florida Atlantic University, we prepare and empower our student-athletes for academic, athletic and lifetime achievement. We share an expectation of excellence. We unify and engage our students, alumni and the community.
Our core values are: Excellence, Innovation, Teamwork and Integrity. In keeping with these values, the role of the Assistant Coach is to help the Head Coach, FAU and its Student-Athletes reach their highest potential mentally, physically, and personally, while embracing good sportsmanship and ethical conduct.
The Assistant Swim Coach is responsible to assist the Head Coach, for Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving, with the daily operation of the swimming program and the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
The Assistant Coach recruits, retains, supervises, and coaches student-athletes, under the stated philosophy of the Head Coach, FAU Athletics, C-USA, CCSA and NCAA guidelines.
Reporting to the Head Coach, the responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Assist in all aspects of coaching a nationally competitive Division I Swimming program, including thorough knowledge of the sport, coaching strategies and player development.
· Assist in overall program planning and organization.
· Assist in recruitment of student-athletes on national and regional levels.
· Assist with planning for alumni events including fundraising.
· Assist with pool scheduling management, community service projects, and fundraising.
· Work within the framework of the Department of Athletics administration and coaches.
· Communicate effectively with students, faculty, administration, staff and alumni.
The successful candidate must possess excellent communication skills and the ability to foster a cooperative work environment. He/she must also possess computer skills, recruiting capabilities, leadership, role modeling, organizational, and interpersonal skills and must be knowledgeable of NCAA Division I rules and regulations.
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Minimum of 3 years of coaching and/or playing experience, preferably at the Division I level
· Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of intercollegiate swimming
· Knowledge of NCAA regulations and guidelines governing the recruitment, academic eligibility requirements, and retention of student-athletes
· Knowledge of athletics recruitment methods and techniques
· Ability to create a database for all prospects, recruiting software database experience preferred
· Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments
· Strong organizational skills
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
· Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
· Strong interpersonal skills that demonstrate an ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
· Proficient in computer use and relevant Microsoft applications.
· Knowledge of HYTEK Meet/Team Manager and Colorado Timing Systems also preferred.
· Available weekends and evenings.
· Valid driver’s license with good driving record; must be insurable.
· Successfully pass NCAA recruiting examination within four months of hire.
· First Aid, AED, and CPR certification within four months of hire.
· Background check completed as a condition of employment with FAU.
A review of application material will begin immediately and continue until the full time position is filled.
- Resume and/or CV
- Coaching Philosophy
- Recruiting Process
- Vision of the FAU Swim Team
- Alumni & Fundraising Involvementa
- How will you assist the Head Coach
- Strengths & Weaknesses
- Where you see yourself in 3-5 years
Lara Preacco, Ph.D., Head Coach Swimming & Diving – firstname.lastname@example.org