Calvin College is seeking an Assistant Coach and Aquatic Director to join the Swim/Dive program. This position is responsible for assisting the head coach of the swimming and diving programs in all aspects of directing, leading and mentoring the student-athletes This requires an understanding and commitment to the mission of Calvin College, the ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, and an ability to work with students, parents, coaches, faculty, staff, administrators, and outside contacts.
FTE: .80 (10 months)
Position Term: 2017-2020 (This position is fully funded for 3 years with possible extension)
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work directly with the head swim coach in all phases of the swim team operation including
- Recruit prospective student-athletes (will require time outside of season)
- Accept constructive criticism and demonstrate evidence professional growth
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics for coaches (Calvin, MIAA, NCAA)
- Contribute to the maintenance of good working relationships with assistant coaches and student-athletes through a positive and constructive approach to all tasks, respect for the competencies of others, and appropriate resolution behavior.
- Contribute to the moral and spiritual growth of the student-athlete in keeping with the mission of Calvin College
- practice planning
- meet entries
- video and stroke analysis
- travel plans
SECONDARY ROLE AS AQUATIC DIRECTOR
- Aquatic director directly responsible for lifeguards, pool schedule, safety, and pool equipment
- Pool Event Manager who works with campus events and the sports camp director to schedule and run events including swim lessons, youth swim teams and age-group swim meets