The Assistant Head Men’s Swimming Coach reports to the Head Men’s Swimming Coach and assists the Head Coach in the coaching and training of the Men’s Swim Team. This position is a full-time appointment, renewable on a contract basis, September 1 through August 31.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
a. Assist the head coach in the coaching and training of Northwestern’s Men’s Swimming team; developing and conducting all in-season and out-of-season sessions throughout the year as deemed necessary and appropriate.
b. Aid the head coach in the psychological preparation of team in both pre-game and post-game; and for developing motivational approach to practice and meets.
c. Develop comprehensive knowledge of swimming in decision-making, delegating authority and in setting objectives.
a. Must be fully knowledgeable and adhere to all rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big Ten Conference (as applicable) and Northwestern University as amended from time to time.
a. Assist the head coach in the recruitment of top student-athletes, commensurate with the admissions qualifications of Northwestern University who are capable of successfully competing at the NCAA level. Maintain good relations with the parents of prospective and current student-athletes.
- Student Affairs
- Demonstrate interest in academic progress of student-athletes. Work closely with Academic Services in solving and preventing academic problems.
- Cooperate with team physicians and Sports Medicine staff regarding health care and decisions of practice and participation of student-athletes.
- Support and encourage student-athlete participation in community service and other outreach activities.
- Alumni Relations, Public Relations and Development
- Responsible for the maintenance of sound alumni relations and for promoting and participating in various alumni events in cooperation with the Athletic Development staff.
- Assist the Athletic Development staff in fund-raising efforts on behalf of the swimming program and department as requested.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with the public news media, and working with the Department’s Athletic Communications department in promoting Northwestern University. Maintain amicable public relations with faculty, staff, students and media of the University; friends as well as alumni support groups and secondary school coaches.
- Report issues and concerns to the Sport Administrator and faithfully and diligently carry out other Department related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports in the Intercollegiate and Recreational programs.
- Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Previous coaching experience at the Division I Level or Senior National Level.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big Ten Conference and Northwestern University
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
For consideration, please visit www.northwestern.edu/hr/careers. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, myHR, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in myHR, search for job opening ID 31887 in the Keywords field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your application. If there is interest in your candidacy, a member of the talent acquisition team or the department hiring manager will contact you.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.