Sarah Lawrence is a prestigious, coeducational liberal arts college that consistently ranks among the leading liberal arts colleges in the country. Sarah Lawrence is known for its pioneering approach to education, its rich history of impassioned intellectual and civic engagement, and its vibrant, successful alumni. In close proximity to the unparalleled offerings of New York City, the historic campus, located in southern Westchester, is home to an intellectually curious and diverse community.
The Aquatics Director is responsible for the management and oversight of pool operations and aquatics programming. This position will also serve as head coach of the men’s and women’s swim teams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for development and oversight of all aquatics programming including children’s swim lessons and community classes.
- Responsible for the training, scheduling and supervision of lifeguards.
- Conducts training of staff in water safety, first aid, and CPR; ensures that all certifications of staff are maintained.
- Ensures high program standards are followed; provides regular in service training to staff as needed.
- Monitors daily pool operations to ensure that that the NYS Department of Health Codes, Operating Standards, and regulations are maintained at all times.
- Manage all aspects of the swim programs including practices, competitions and recruiting.
- Hire and supervise an assistant coach.
- Establish mentoring relationships with current student-athletes in an effort to contribute to the department’s retention efforts.
9. Teach PE classes as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attend Athletic Department staff meetings.
2. Attend Open Houses and other Admissions events related to the recruitment of prospective students.
3. Attend all meetings of the Skyline Conference related to swimming.
1. Education and Training
a. Bachelor’s degree in Sport Administration (or related field) is required. Master’s degree preferred.
b. Completion of the NCAA DIII Rules test on an annual basis is required.
c. Certification in first aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer and WSI lifeguard training or equivalent.
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
a. Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations related to recruiting.
b. Ability to communicate orally and in writing, using the English language, for completion of staff expectations, and in creating documents throughout Department of Athletics and Physical Education and the campus.
c. Ability/willingness to work extended hours/flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and vacation periods as necessary.
d. Ability to use a computer, keyboard and printer as necessary.
3. Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
a. Ability to work extended hours/flexible schedule.
b. Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment.
c. Ability to drive.
d. Ability to walk several flights of stairs, and/or attend meetings in other buildings located on or off-campus.
e. Visual and hearing ability to perform all required duties related to the position.
Individual requires the ability to effectively balance time between administrative and coaching duties. Ability to work autonomously toward department priorities is essential.
5. Interpersonal/Supervisory/Management Skills
Individual must be knowledgeable and confident, able to think clearly and make decisions; must be able to assist in the management of a complex department that serves multiple stakeholders.
To apply please visit: https://slc.peopleadmin.com
Sarah Lawrence College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has as one of its goals the recruitment and retention of a racially and culturally diverse administration, staff and faculty. To that end, every job opening is seen as an opportunity to increase diversity and every effort will be made to expand the applicant pool in accordance with these goals. For information on Sarah Lawrence College, our curriculum, teaching methods, and philosophy of education, please see our website at https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/