Grand Canyon University is currently seeking an Assistant Coach for Men’s & Women’s Swimming and Diving. The Assistant Coach is responsible for specifically designated aspects of the sport, exercises independent judgment in providing technical expertise in the fundamentals of the sport, teaching student-athletes basic and advanced skills, and assisting the Head Athletic Coach in management of the team through recruiting, program development, fund-raising, promotional activities, and related assigned responsibilities. The Assistant Coach guides and mentors student-athletes throughout the academic year.
· Ensures all aspects of athletic programs comply with University standards and conference and national affiliation rules and regulations. Identifies potential risk and helps in establishing criteria and plans for correction.
· Coaches, counsels, advises and mentors athletic staff.
· Works in association with the Athletic Director and the NCAA Compliance Coordinator with recordkeeping and student-athlete certifications as required by NCAA and University guidelines.
· Explains and demonstrates the principles, techniques and methods of regulating movement of the human body, kinesiology, bio-mechanics, etc. to achieve proficiency in the assigned activity or sport.
· Makes recommendations in matters of event scheduling, budget preparation and expenditures/monitoring, and prepares various reports.
· Observes students during practice to encourage good athletic skills and provide guidance for improvements. Assesses student-athlete capabilities. Explains and demonstrates use of apparatus and equipment.
· Promotes good sportsmanship behavior and enforces discipline, establishes and oversees penalties for breach of standards by members of the team.
· Manages student-athlete off-campus recruiting programs.
· Assists in organizing competitions and tournaments.
· Assists and/or executes program development, develops strategies for competitions.
· Assists in implementing pre- and post-season conditioning and weight training, as necessary.
· May be involved with student-athlete recruiting as allowed by University and NCAA rules.
· Lectures on history and purposes of sport.
· Promotes GCU Athletics and may attend various events.
· May perform duties which require irregular hours, out of town and/or overnight travel.
· May include supervisory responsibilities.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· 1 year work experience in a similar capacity.
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills including ability to establish and build a good rapport and effective working relationships with student athletes, coaches, assistant coaches, administrators, college faculty and staff, alumni, professional colleagues, the community or general public and representatives of local and national affiliations.
· Must be able to work collaboratively with the coaching staff and with a diverse range of swimmers.
· Thorough understanding of human physiology.
· Student and diversity oriented.
· Advanced knowledge of the fundamentals of assigned sports including game rules, regulations and officiating; well versed in game development strategy.
· Ability to effectively coach, advise and motivate student-athletes.
· Strong leader who can effectively motivate staff to deliver performance results.
· Knowledgeable of University, NCAA and conference rules and regulations.
· Certification in NCAA off-campus recruiting or ability to pass the testing requirements.
· Ability to recruit high-quality talent on a local and/or national level.
· Sound judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
· Valid driver’s license and clean driving record and occasionally operates University vehicles.
· Master’s degree preferred.
· Proficiency with MS Office Suite software and familiarity with team, game, meet management software preferred.
· CPR, First Aid and Coaches’ Safety Training certifications required; AED helpful.
· Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University
To Apply, go to: