Truman State University is currently seeking an Assistant Coach for Men’s & Women’s Swimming. The Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in all phases of the program including recruiting, coaching, and administrative duties. Assist with the day-to-day operations of the team, coaching and fundraising activities; provide support for the vision and strategies of the head coach. The assistant coach will be responsible for maintaining professional conduct, positive sportsmanship and acting as a role model for the student-athletes. The candidate must demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills and must be able to work effectively with staff, faculty and other members of the University.
· Promotes good sportsmanship behavior and enforces discipline, establishes and oversees penalties for breach of standards by members of the team.
· Help student-athletes grow in sport and life.
· Observes students during practice to encourage good athletic skills and provide guidance for improvements.
· Assists in implementing pre- and post-season conditioning and weight training, as necessary.
· Assists with student-athlete recruiting in accordance to University and NCAA Division II rules.
· Promotes Truman Athletics at various events.
· Assists and/or executes program development, develops strategies for competitions.
· Assist with all aspects of team’s annual fundraiser.
· Help coordinate team travel arrangements.
· Require irregular hours, out of town and/or overnight travel.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree required
· 1 year college work experience or 3 years of Club/YMCA work experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills including ability to establish and build a good rapport and effective working relationships with student athletes, coaches, assistant coaches, administrators, college faculty and staff, alumni, professional colleagues, the community or general public and representatives of local and national affiliations.
· Must be able to work collaboratively with the coaching staff and with a diverse range of swimmers.
· Ability to effectively coach, advise and motivate student-athletes.
· Knowledgeable of University, GLVC, and NCAA Division II rules and regulations.
· Ability to pass recruiting certificiation within 6 months of employment.
· Ability to recruit high-quality athletes on a local and/or national level.
· Sound judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
· Valid driver’s license and clean driving record and occasionally operates University vehicles.
· Master’s degree preferred.
· Proficiency in MS Office Suite software
· Familiarity with team and meet manager software
· CPR, First Aid, AED certifications.
· USA Coaches’ Safety Training certifications
· 2 years work experience at the collegiate level.
Submit a letter of application, resume, academic transcripts, and contact information for at least three references.
Application materials may also be mailed to:
Truman State University
McClain Hall 101
100 E. Normal Ave.
Kirksville, MO 63501
Truman State University is a highly selective public liberal arts and sciences university and is a member of the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC). Review of applications will begin May 1, 2018, and continue until the position is filled.