FLSA DESIGNATION: Non-Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Men’s & Women’s Head Swimming Coach
This full-time position will share responsibilities as an assistant coach to the swim team and as the aquatics director.
This position reports to the Swimming Head Coach and serves as an entry-level position for persons looking at careers in coaching and athletics administration. Duties will include:
ASSISTANT SWIMMING COACH
1. Assist in all areas of recruiting including but not limited to:
2. Travel to evaluate prospective student-athletes and meet with prospects when appropriate.
3. Arrange on-campus recruiting visits.
4. Write recruiting letters, contact recruits, screen incoming contact requests, write response letters, and manage database with on-line tools.
5. Facilitate on-going correspondence among team members and top priority recruits.
6. Assist with all aspects of training including on-deck skill instruction stroke analysis.
7. Assist with dry land program.
8. Assist with all aspects of meet preparation and management
9. Scout opponents and assist with scouting reports.
10. Support head coach in administrative duties including travel arrangements, fund raising, expense reporting, logistical support of camps and clinics, alumni outreach, etc.
11. Special projects and duties as assigned by the Head Swimming Coach.
Aquatics Director will have background as a lifeguard and some management experience. The ideal candidate will also be Red Cross certified at least as a Lifeguard, preferred as a Lifeguard Instructor. Duties of the job include:
1. Annual trainings
2. Recruit, hire, train, orient returning and new student lifeguard staff
3. Offer review courses to current staff
4. Regular work duties
5. Student staff oversight
6. Facility oversight including chemical & maintenance checks
7. Schedule and manage programming for the pool
8. Coordinate and communicate regularly with physical plant
9. Meet regularly with head lifeguard, address personnel/facility issues
10. Provide monthly in-service trainings for staff
11. Manage relationships with outside users (WW Swim Club, Wa-Hi Swim Teams)
12. User agreements and liability coverage
13. Negotiate schedules for usage
14. Act as Whitman College liaison for all Wa-Hi and Whitman College swim meets and meet management
15. Replace broken equipment, order new uniforms for staff
16. Field requests for pool rentals
17. Schedule special programming
18. Work in conjunction with Fitness Facilities Director to coordinate BFFC security, pool and locker room usage.
19. Maintain current certifications.
20. Manage extensive facility records.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. Knowledge of NCAA Division III rules and the ability to identify and recruit qualified student-athletes, including the ability to communicate effectively with recruits, parents, and coaches.
2. Outstanding skill instruction and stroke analysis, ability to motivate swimmers in both training and competitive realms, experience with dry land programs for swimmers, and the capacity to teach in both the varsity and academic settings.
3. Strong administrative and computer skills, particularly with Hy-Tek software and database management.
4. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
5. Appreciation for the role of intercollegiate athletics in a highly selective academic environment, and the desire to help student-athletes strive for balance in that rigorous setting.
6. Requires mostly standing, walking, and office work; ability to lift objects or loads weighing up to 50 pounds.
1. Bachelor’s degree and at least two years successful coaching experience at the collegiate, club, or high school level.
2. Certification in CPR/AED and either Lifeguarding or Safety Training for Swim Coaches (or ability to acquire certification before employment starts).
3. Valid driver’s license and ability to successfully pass background check and driving record check.
4. Ability to pass a physical.
Visit https://whitmanhr.simplehire.com to apply.