The Department of Athletics at Saint John's University invites applications for the full-time(75%), benefit-eligible position of Head Swimming and Diving Coach. The Head Swimming and Diving Coach reports to the Director of Athletics and is under the division of the Vice President of Student Development. The Head Swimming and Diving Coach is is responsible for conducting the Saint John's Swimming and Diving program with integrity and under the rules and mission of Saint John's University, the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and NCAA Division III. In the role of Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, the hired candidate will report to the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach while responsible for the development and management of individual and group strength training programs for student-athletes (including varsity, junior varsity, club, and IM), recreation users, faculty and staff.
Saint John's University Athletics has 11 varsity teams at the NCAA Division III level that consistently place among the top teams in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC). We seek to advance the mission of the University by empowering student-athletes and encouraging them toward lives marked by high academic, athletic and social achievement, personal accountability, and service while holistically developing each individual within the academic community. We aspire to be recognized as one of the finest and most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs in all of NCAA Division III athletics.
Saint John's University, a liberal arts college for men, and the College of Saint Benedict, a liberal arts college for women, are located four miles apart in Central Minnesota just outside St. Cloud and 70 miles from Minneapolis. Both are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition, which emphasize quality teaching and a commitment to intercultural learning. Together, the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University offer a common undergraduate curriculum, identical degree requirements, and a single academic calendar. The colleges offer the distinct benefit of two nationally recognized Catholic, undergraduate institutions and one exceptional education. For further information, see http://www.csbsju.edu.
Swim & Dive Coaching Responsibilities - Primary
1. Manage a successful, results oriented program.
2. Provide a great and inclusive co-curricular experience for our student athletes that reflects positively on St. John's University.
3. Hire, manage and develop a qualified assistant coaching staff for the swimming and diving program.
4. Develop constructive and beneficial training sessions.
5. Support and mentor student athletes.
6. Annually assess the coaches, student athletes and overall program through an established formal process.
Recruiting Responsibilities - Secondary
1. Recruit qualified, diverse, talented prospective student/athletes for the swimming and diving team.
2. Initiate and respond to recruiting correspondences.
3. Personally interact with prospective swimming and diving student-athletes that visit campus.
Administrative Responsibilities - Secondary
1. Ensure the eligibility of student-athletes.
2. Commitment to learn and be knowledgeable with the institution, MIAC and NCAA DIII rules and regulations set forth by these associations.
3. Manage the swimming and diving budget including subsidizing it with fundraising.
4. Coordinate, staff and direct all home meets.
5. Schedule all practices and competitions.
6. Organize all team travel, lodging, and meals.
7. Responsible for all equipment purchasing, distribution, inventory, and repair for the swimming and diving team.
8. Collaborate with appropriate offices and media to promote and highlight the program and student athletes to alumni, recruits and fans.
9. Work with the Athletic Department Coordinator and Physical Plant to make sure the pool area is safe and properly maintained.
10. Additional administrative duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Strength & Conditioning Coaching - Secondary
1. Create and monitor in-season and off-season strength and conditioning programs for varsity and junior varsity student athletes in designated sports
2. Meet with Head Coaches of designated sports to assess needs
3. Facilitate learning of proper lifting, spotting and safety techniques by patrons of the fitness center
4. Maintain a current understanding of team and individual conditioning specific training trends
5. Work in cooperation with the athletic trainers in the rehabilitation and strengthening of injured athletes
1. Baccalaureate degree (master's preferred).
2. Proven swimming and diving coaching experience.
3. Proven swimming and diving recruitment experience.
4. An understanding and appreciation for the character and success of the Saint John's University Athletic Department and its programs.
5. An understanding of the mission of NCAA Division III athletics.
6. Computer literacy.
7. Strong verbal and writing skills.
8. Strong organizational skills
9. Solid leadership skills.
10. The ability to work with minimal direction.
11. Self-motivated and results-oriented.
12. Discreet judgment and confidentiality are expected at this level of responsibility
13. Certified in Strength & Conditioning under the standards established by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association (SCCC) or by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (CSCS)
14. CPR, First Aid, AED and Lifeguard certifications must be held or obtained in advance of the swimming and diving season.
15. Valid driver's license required. Must meet and maintain requirements of Motor Pool Regulations. Ability to drive a campus vehicle which includes the completion of defensive driving program. A driver's license check will be conducted.
Applications are accepted online at http://employment.csbsju.edu. Applicants should complete the full application and submit a cover letter and resume. Official transcript required at time of hire.
If you require special accommodations to participate in the Saint John's University hiring process, please contact us at (320) 363-2508 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of CSB and SJU to conduct pre-employment background checks. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
Women, individuals of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Saint John's University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.