Reports to: Director of Athletics
Time commitment: 40 hours per week; 12-month contract
The Head Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving Coach reports to the Director of Athletics. The head coach is responsible for all phases of a highly competitive NCAA Division II swimming & diving program including, but not limited to, practice and meet preparation, recruiting, hiring and supervision of assistant coaches, budget management, alumni and public relations, and adherence to the rules of the NCAA, the Conference and Fresno Pacific University. The head coach must be committed to student-athletes’ academic, personal, athletic and spiritual growth and development, and demonstrate the ability to successfully recruit and motivate NCAA Division II student-athletes.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students and guests.
- Develops and maintains a swimming & diving program that is athletically competitive within NCAA Division II.
- Works to maintain an atmosphere within the swimming & diving program that is consistent with the mission of Fresno Pacific University, including the active demonstration and modeling of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Operates the program within the mission, policies, bylaws, regulations, and interpretations of Fresno Pacific University, the Department of Athletics, and the NCAA Division II.
- Actively engages the members of the program in meaningful and impactful community service and community engagement.
- Actively guides and mentors student-athletes into successful life patterns and choices including those represented by the faith and life commitments of the University.
- Actively supports and monitors the academic progress of student-athletes, including a commitment to a graduation rate of at least 15% greater than the general student body or up to 90% and a team GPA of 3.0.
- Is responsible for all administrative aspects of the program including scheduling, off-season conditioning, program equipment, program budget, and the direction of FPU-identified athletic/sport camps.
- Oversees, organizes, and conducts effective practice sessions including sessions involving individual work.
- Oversees, organizes, and conducts an effective recruitment strategy that, in good faith, focuses on student-athletes who are eligible within NCAA Division II and who understand and agree to abide by the faith and life commitments of the University.
- Actively supports and engages in fundraising efforts for the program, the Sunbird Club, and other FPU fundraising efforts as needed.
- Engages in the promotion of the University, the Department of Athletics, and the program as requested by the Athletics Communications Office, the Director of Athletics, or the University President.
- Works in support of FPU staff, faculty, and administration in all areas including facilities, athletics administration, athletics communications, sports medicine, student life, and academic efforts.
- Attends Department of Athletics meetings and major events (e.g. department meetings, workdays, athletics professional development sessions, Athletics Hall of Fame Banquet, Sunbird Golf Classic, End-of-Year Athletic Awards Celebration).
- Demonstrates a professional commitment to involvement in local, regional, and national program-related organizations as needed or possible.
- Facilitates the provision of all information necessary to determine prospective student-athlete eligibility.
- Provides complete off-campus contact and evaluation request logs and forms and monitors the permissible number of contacts and evaluations per NCAA bylaws.
- Provides complete and accurate expense reports, and follows all University and Department of Athletics financial procedures.
- Ensures team's compliance with NCAA rules related to playing and practice seasons including monthly athletically-related activity logs.
- In cooperation with the Associate A.D., monitors the scheduling process, verifying that the schedule meets NCAA and Conference scheduling requirements.
- Follows the established process for renewal and non-renewal of athletically-related financial aid.
- Ensures that student-athletes and assistants abide by the University’s ethical conduct and sportsmanship requirements.
- Responds to requests for information from athletics administration in a timely manner
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the university
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Previous successful coaching experience within the sport of swimming.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Expressed commitment to NCAA legislation and compliance
- Proven commitment to athletic and academic success.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Previous successful NCAA coaching experience.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated success in recruiting at the collegiate level
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.