Entries for the 2017 CSCAA Open Water Championship are filling. Each race will be limited to 70 participants and entries will be admitted based on time of form submission. USA Swimming has designated the CSCAAOWN as an approved qualifying event. The top five finishers for each gender earn invites to the 2018 USA Swimming 5K Open Water Championships. Moreover, the NCAA has provided the CSCAA permitting Division III student-athletes to participate even if the event occurs outside of the institution’s declared playing season. To register visit: www.kuathletics.com/openwater
Eligibility & Qualifying
Participation is limited to current NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA member institutions who meet the specific event qualifying criteria. All student-athletes must be eligible as certified by their member institution. Athletes must have achieved one of the below qualifying times between July 1, 2016 and the entry deadline. Meter conversions are acceptable for international student-athletes. Qualifying period: Sept. 1, 2015-Sept. 1, 2017
- 500 Freestyle SCY Women: 5:10.00 Men: 4:50.00
- 1000 Freestyle SCY Women: 10:30.00 Men: 10:00.00
- 1650 Freestyle SCY Women: 18:00.00 Men: 17:00.00
Registration will be limited to 70 individuals for each race.
- Entry fee is $40.00 per Individual with payment required upon registration.
- Returning Teams: Entries open at Noon, Central Time on July 10, 2017
- Open registration begins at Noon, July 17, 2017
- Athletes must enter these events through www.KUAthletics.com/OpenWater.
- Payment will be required upon registration. Payment may be made via Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover or PayPal.
The entry form is not an eligibility report; It is the coaches’ responsibility to know the eligibility of each athlete. Once you complete your entry, you will be sent confirmations via email. Please keep all of these and bring them with you to the meet (just in case).
Current USA Swimming Rules and Regulations will govern this event. Please see Part Seven of the USA Swimming Rules & Regulations for complete list of Open Water Rules.
- No swimmer shall be allowed to use or wear any device that may be an aid to his/her speed, endurance, or buoyancy.
- A maximum of two (2) caps may be used.
- Wet suits, flotation aids or any similar items, and anything used to maintain body heat, except a reasonable application of body grease, are not allowed.
- Team events will be conducted concurrently with individual events, with the results achieved in the individual event used to compute the team scoring.
- Teams will be entered automatically based on team entries.
- Cross country scoring will be used to determine team scores. Top three athletes determine team score.
- Maximum of five athletes per team.
Individual champions shall be determined and awarded in women’s and men’s competitions. Medals shall be awarded to all first-through-eighth place finishers in each individual event.
Team Event medals shall be awarded to teams placing first-through-third.
Race Course and Operations
Additional specific course details will be coming soon. Aside from Safety and Officials’ boats, no additional craft will be allowed near the race course. This is a nonescorted swim. The swimmers must swim within the finish chute and will finish by touching a finish banner over the water’s surface. Toe nails and finger nails will be checked before the race by the Head Referee. In the nails are too long, the must be cut to a reasonable length at the discretion of the Referee.
All swimmers and coaches should arrive in time for the technical meeting for their event(s). Each participant is responsible for all information distributed at these meetings. The technical meeting will take place Friday, September 15 at 5 p.m. inside Hadl Auditorium in KU’s Wagnon Student-Athlete Center. Participant check-in and numbering will be offered immediately after the technical meeting.
In addition to each technical meeting, all swimmers must be present for the Pre-Race Briefing at the race start area prior to each race. At this meeting, race officials will distribute last-minute information on weather and water conditions, emergency procedures, etc.
- Race Site, Lone Star Lake Friday, September 15, 9 a.m. - Noon
- Pool Practice, KU’s Robinson Natatorium Friday, September 15, 2-4:30 p.m
Special rates have been secured at the following locations with preferred lodging partners from September 15-18: Group Block Name: CSCAA Open Water Nationals
- HAMPTON INN LAWRENCE
- 2300 West 6th St. Lawrence, KS 66049 Phone (785) 841-4994 Hotel Contact Brett Anderson Room Rate $129.00 Cutoff Date Aug. 25, 2017 18 Double Rooms 5 King Rooms
- HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS & SUITES
- 3411 Iowa St. Lawrence, KS 66046 Phone (785) 749-7555 Hotel Contact Audra Coppenbarger Room Rate $119.00 Cutoff Date Aug. 25, 2017 18 Double Rooms 5 King Rooms
- SPRINGHILL SUITES BY MARIOTT
- 1 Riverfront Plaza #300 Lawrence, KS 66044 Phone (785) 841-2700 Hotel Contact Kim Dodd Room Rate $119.00 Cutoff Date Aug. 14, 2017 18 Double Rooms 5 King Rooms
Schedules are subject to change depending on number of entries and local conditions.
- 7:30-8:15 a.m. - Women’s Check-in
- 8:15 a.m. - Women’s Pre-Race Briefing
- 8:25 a.m. - Women’s Inspection and Roll Call
- 8:30 a.m. - Women’s 5K Start
- 9:30-10:15 a.m. - Men’s Check-in
- 10:15 a.m. - Men’s Pre-Race Briefing
- 10:25 a.m. - Men’s Inspection and Roll Call
- 10:30 a.m. - Men’s 5K Start
- Noon - Women’s and Men’s Awards