By Katie Green, NAIA Manager of Athletics Communications and Media
Keiser (Fla.) moved its way up in the poll to No. 1 in the 2017 NAIA Women’s Swim and Dive Coaches’ Top 10 Preseason Poll, the national office announced on Thursday. The Seahawks swept the field with all five first place votes and 50 points.
Top 10 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
- The Seahawks return three All-Americans from the previous season and add three newcomers to the roster.
- Keiser opened the season with a 7-of-7 finish in the Nova Southeastern (Fla.) Shark Invitational and then a win over SCAD Savannah (Ga.).
- No. 8 Loyola (La.) and No. 9 Union (Ky.) made the jump into the top 10. This is the first appearance in the Top 10 for Loyola. Union, however, has been in the Top 10, six different times from 2012-2016.
- SCAD Savannah (Ga.) holds the longest active streak in the Top 10 with 29 total appearance. All 29 of those appearances have been in the top five.
- There have been four programs that have been able to maintain the No. 1 ranking for an entire season: Oklahoma Baptist, Fresno Pacific (Calif.), California Baptist and Simon Fraser (B.C.). Former member California Baptist accomplished this feat five different times in 2008-09, 2007-08, 2006-07, 2005-06 and 2003-04 seasons.
2017 NAIA Men’s Swim & Dive Coaches’ Preseason Top 10 Poll – (Oct. 26)
RANK SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES] POINTS
- Keiser (Fla.)  50
- Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) 43
- SCAD Savannah (Ga.) 42
- Cumberlands (Ky.) 34
- Thomas (Ga.) 27
- WVU Institute of Technology 20
- Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 17
- Loyola (La.) 16
- Union (Ky.) 14
- Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 5
Dropped from the rankings: No. 6 Wayland Baptist (Texas), No. 9 St. Andrews (N.C.)
Others receiving votes: Asbury (Ky.) 4, College of Idaho 2